Thursday, March 29, 2012

Aliens (1986)



Sequels are hard.  I'm going to repeat that.  Sequels are hard.  Often time they are crafted out of an economic need and not the intent of the artists to continue the story.  Jason X is unspeakably worse than Jason.  If there is no need to make a movie beyond money......don't do it.  (You heard me, Dumb and Dumberer.)  But alas, Aliens is a amazing break from the schlock of my prior sentences.  There is significant time lag between it and the original (1979, 1986).  I think that helps the movie.  It has allowed technology and movie magic to expand to the point wherein the visuals can match the initial impact of the original. I feel like the Matrix Reloaded and "whatever the third was called" suffered from not being able to push the boundaries of visual effects enough to shock us in the way that the original did. (Ohhhhh and they're just not very good.)  Aliens, made on a reasonably small budget, met all the visual requirements that an "Aliens" film must to amaze and suspend disbelief.  Nice job!

I usually don't like James Cameron.  I didn't like Avatar and I saw Piranha.  But, as a follow up to Terminator, Aliens is a resounding success.  The story flows, the editing is quick and sharp, the lighting contrasts to promote terror, and the visuals of the Alien Queen were out of control.  Boom!  Way to cement yourself as a legit director with back to back glory.

One funny thing that I liked about Aliens was the performance of Paul "Mad about You" Reiser.  One thing I thought was terrible was the acting of Bill Pullman.  Sorry, Buddy.

Alien:  There are more of you....See it

Starcraft players: Zurg  See it

Reebok:  See it     Product placement everywhere

Real Steel:  Skip it.  You copied them.

Helen Hunt: See it   You worked with that guy "Burke" for years.

On a scale of MN Twins 2011 to MN Twins 2012, I give Aliens 3.98 stars out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment