Saturday, December 1, 2018

Wreck it Ralph (2012)

Image result for wreck it ralph
"I can fix it!" -Fix-it-Felix Jr.
"You're not going Turbo, are you?" -Everyone

Cute. Real cute. Just a solid effort throughout. No crazy wholes. Nice animations. Great structure to achieve emotional reaction from the audience.

-Basically, I would say that it was clear that Jon Lasseter was involved. And for me, his ability to get a story to page and emote is long and full of my theater tears.

So, I am not sure how I feel about nostalgia as an underpinning to nerd culture and thus an emotional tent pole.  On one hand, I am not immune. The Characters, brands, and games of the past are on an expanding curve. In my thinking if in 1950 the total count of imaginary characters and games that made emotional connections with more than 10000 individuals was 1, the count in 2012 is 10000.  With more options, ubiquitous channels, and boundless imagination. The global emotive character pool is exploding.   Maybe to the point where it becomes a business question of why make a new one?  Obviously, I am of an age that has general connection to first person shooters, 8-bit characters, Zangief and Bowser.

On the other hand, -it's just lazy. (opinion.)

Highlight of Wreck It Ralph for me include:


  1. Penelope Von Schweetz
    1. and her banter with Ralph
  2. Alan Tudyk
    1. ALWAYS
    2. "King Candy!!"
  3. John C Rielly
  4. Sarah Silverman
Wreck It Ralph actually deserved a sequel.  Hard to imagine, but true. 

3.4 out 5



  

No comments:

Post a Comment