Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Mission Impossible: Fallout

Image result for mission impossible fallout
Ethan Hunt: I'll figure it out.

Apparently this is a very unpopular opinion.  MI:Fallout was bad. Pure and simple. It was bad.

I admit to that I can be wrong, but, as it is my opinion..pbhhhhhh

Here's why:

1. Telegraphing
      Everything was telegraphed to the audience in advance and with an Air Horn.  There were no twists. (at least not for me.) The point of a MI is that they can fool the audience or at least the characters.
2. Jokes
    It was not funny. And I laugh at basically anything Simon Pegg says.
3. Music
   I approve of musical statements: ie themes for each character so as to announce something important musically or make connections. The music of MI: Fallout was a club used to purely tell good from bad. Booooooooo!!!  Also MI has a great Theme song.  Why use it in such cliche ways?
4, Pacing
   Why do all "Action" movies insist on the same pacing? Start with a big action sequence to lure in the audience, must include at least 3 chase sequences using preferably Cars, Boats, and air vehicles: finish with a physical confrontation to prevent a horrible consequence that definitely requires a countdown. With many films, I expect that the writers, producers, directors wanted/tried to be creative and stand out, but succumbed to previous success.  I get the feeling that the makers of MI: Fallout simply bowed from the get-go.
5. Technical Elements
   On a fun note, I really did appreciate the return to to a less CG (or whoa what if it all was CG and I just don't know the difference anymore?) action style. It was clear that Tom Cruise actually was performing many of these stunts. Cool!  I like it.  Unfortunately, I am not sure that the crew, director, and cinematographers were particularly adept at capturing this kind of footage. In 1989, there would have been no alternative to achieve the director's vision. Everyone knew their game. Now, perhaps, the team is strong at the CG elements and practice, but not up to snuff on the execution of stunt reality.

Where was Paula Patton?  And Simon Pegg, I want to see you in other things.

2.4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment