Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Guardian's of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)



"I'm gonna make some weeiird shit."  -Peter Quill

"Trash Panda!" -Peter Quill to Rocket
"I don't understand. Is that better or worse than.." -Rocket

Style over substance. Mark one up for style. I guess if you know that a sequel is going to be worse than the original might as well have some just flat out silly soul rejuvenating fun. No pretense about quality....just let it all hang out.

That was Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2; a 1976-83 funk and laser light show in space. Oh, with a god. (lower case g.)  I had a great time. The sound track is actually way stranger and, in my opinion, better than the original.  The use of the soundtrack during the movie, while certainly less subtle than the original, was a tremendously successful club. If they want to keep making style filled nonsense of this quality of fun.....I will continue to sign up.

That's my opinion. Fact of the matter is that GoGVII was disappointing from a plot and thematic perspective. If wasn't for me loving the style, it might be a Drax turd. Films about daddy issues are hard enough to make audience care about, but having to fit it all into a universe and introduce what is at least one new spin off -(Stalone, Michelle Yeoh, and Ving Raimes@@!!! Sure, yeah I will watch that....but it was as major distraction from this movie.)- was just too much baggage. Also, it's hard to respect the villainy of your foes if they are dimwitted and gold, or Kurt Russell-acting like he's not acting...? If they aren't that bad, then we don't care so much about the fight.

My recommendation is that everyone see it at some point. Totally worth it. I actually adored the opening sequence.

Oh and Ben Browder, I am so glad to see you in anything, even if you are done up in gold from head to toe.

On a scale of Gate of the Star-Lord to Lord of the Star Gate, I give Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 3.6 out of 5 stars. -but maybe 2.9 if I watched it a second time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment