Saturday, March 11, 2017

Sing (2016)



"Look, if you wanna win the money...just do what the Koala says." -Lance
"Kira Kira Killer, happy happy happy Mirai wa hora, lucky lucky lucky Kira Kira Killer, doki doki doki Fall in love" -Red Panda

I really can't say too much either way on Sing. It is acceptable. It may make you happy. It won't make you sad.

Pros: Scarlett Johansson, Seth McFarlane, Taron Edgerton are great singers.
Super Pro:  I've been debating this for a while...Jennifer Hudson is amazing. I've yet to see her be anything but mesmerising.  Her version of Golden Slumbers is unreal.
Middling:  Reese Witherspoon can sing.
Cons: Story, emotional connectivity, segues

I don't intend on watching Sing again.  If there is a sequel. I will make no effort to see it.  It has to just happen to be in my path.

Here's my takeaway. The quest for the newness implies that what is new now was old and what is old now is new. -It's a matter of when you were born and your experiences. I think the point made in this film was that in a Post-American Idol world singing competitions still have lustre and allure, provided they never become routine and are done earnestly.

On scale of "From Justin" to "to Kelly", I give Sing 2.63 out of 5 stars.

I'm a huge fan of Steve Winwood and Give Me Some Lovin 1.  Overused in film? -maybe.  Underappreciated? -definitely.  *I think he might have wrote this when he was 18.

No comments:

Post a Comment