Thursday, June 9, 2016

Zootopia (2016)

Image result for zootopia

"It's called a hustle, honey." -Judy Hopps

Short:
  1. A+ for animation, imagery, voice talent, and CUTE
  2. C for storyline, plot, and editing
Long:

Oh my is Zootopia a visual treat. It's plot is difficult to follow and its moralizing about predators vs prey is slightly confusing/reductive......but for children I think it is in the top ten of the last 5 years. Funny, positive, pluralistic, beautiful, and encouraging of reaching for dreams.  The Disney recipe to a tee. 

I chose the above quote because it seemed apt that Zootopia in mind was a hustle. For me, I followed the pretty pictures, laughed at the simple jokes, got caught up in the time-honored plot, and left reasonably happy. And like all true hustles, it was too late once I figured out that it had no real soul.

On a scale of Carrots for 1 to Beets for 900, I give Zootopia, 2.9 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment