Sunday, May 22, 2016

The Sound of Music (1965)

Image result for sound of music

-Why am I always last? (Gretl)
-It's because you're the most important. (Max)

Minority opinion holders are by nature capable of resisting peer pressure -assuming they are not just trolling for a fight. The smaller the minority, the more difficult the positive consensus is to push against. Thus, only the devoutly and obstinately foolish hold unpopular opinions as a matter of fact without admitting the possibility of being wrong.

I only admit that I could be wrong when I say: The Sound of Music is not a particularly good movie. (cue pitchforks, torches, angry mobs, and the wrath of the internet)

I admit that I had never seen The Sound of Music before this viewing -Never. I almost held it as a badge of honor.

Here's why I found it underwhelming and contrite. - I accept contradictory feedback in the comments.

1. The songs are over used.
    I expected, as with any musical, that there would be a string of songs for each section of the film culminating in one final song to end the show with aplomb. Unfortunately, The Sound of Music reuses all of it songs in their entirety once, twice, even thrice. They filled 2 halves of a long musical with only enough music for a 90 minute sing-along. I got it. Doe is a deer, A female deer.

2. Choreography
   The exact same blocking and musical routines are performed once, twice, even thrice, without any apology. The same. Over and over. It certainly makes things adorable, but not particularly interesting.

3. Character development
  This is a small point. I sympathize with the challenge of taking a daring family tale from story to musical to movie, but somewhere along this line, the motives and development of the central characters were lost. I got a bit whip lashed from the father's love shift from Baroness to Governess.

On a scale of phrygian to TEE, I give The Sound of Music 2.87 out of 5 stars.





No comments:

Post a Comment