Friday, March 11, 2016

Creed (2015)

Image result for creed movie
"Time takes everybody out; time's undefeated." -Rocky Balboa

Hmmmm....Rocky V was so bad, but Rocky Balboa was acceptable. So with yo-yo like expectations I had my doubts about Creed. Boxing movies are generally modeled after the Rocky franchise, and I have become rather numb to their charms. A Rocky: The New Breed knock-off would be novocaine.

Fortunately, for Creed, while it does pay homage to the franchise, Creed employs a new set of dynamics, anger and advanced expectations. I liked it. -Though the dirt bikes and four-wheelers homage sequence was weird and too much.

Anger is a powerful tool for Creed and its director. Each punch is not controlled. They are wild and dangerous. With old, wise, often befuddled Rocky in his corner, Adonis puts more pure rage onto the screen than any boxing movie in a long time. Rage is at the very least exciting.

Advanced expectations is a more subtle texture to any film. At a certain point the narrative flips wherein our hero can meet his goal, but cannot not stand up to his own myth. Then the only thing left to do is fail and my my my is it satisfying to see an icon crumble. The exceptional reverting to the mean is a petty but deeply satisfying moment for the masses. Creed plays with this theme through the application of the "Creed" name to man who does not know if he can handle the aftermath of being judged. That's a story that resonates.

I won't say that everyone should go see Creed, but it was certainly of more value than the price of admission. Sly is a great Rocky, but Michael B. Jordan and Ryan Coogler steal the show. I expect great things from them in the future.

On a scale of rabbit to sucker, I give Creed 3.1 out of 5 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment