Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation

Image result for mission impossible rogue nation

"I can neither confirm or deny details of any operations without the Secretary's approval." -William Brandt

In the most formulaic of movies, Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation is a pale shadow of the show's rich history and the franchise's former glory.  There is nothing technically wrong with Rogue Nation, it's just that nothing was artistically right. From an economic perspective, I fully expect that at least 1 more MI mission will be released. I just won't look forward to it in the way I had.

But, I don't want to dwell on the shortcomings of a Blockbuster: Fish;Barrel. I took the opportunity while watching Mission Impossible: Bland to test the story writing, editing, and director. MI is famous for adding tension to a plot by putting the audience and the characters on a clock. Time limits are classic form of literary and cinematic pressure. [example: " from this point on you will only have 5 minutes to diffuse the volcano."  "5 minutes!? That's impossible." ] I am big fan of adding temporal pressure to create drama.  Yet, many directors, movies, producers often break their time continuums, stretching 5 minutes of story time into 30 minutes of running time. Only the last 8 minutes of an NFL game, in my book, is allowed such liberties with countdowns. To its credit, Rogue Nation is a roaring success in this context.  Ethan Hunt is charged with swimming and holding his breath for 3 minutes. In total, he is underwater for 3 minutes conscious and 25 seconds unconscious. Total film time was 3 minutes 25 seconds. I know. I counted.

On a scale of minute rice to 7 hr smoked brisket, I give Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation 2.6 out of 5 stars.

Ving Rames, You should be in everything! I am glade they brought you back for this installment.   

No comments:

Post a Comment