Friday, November 27, 2015

Sister Act (1992)

Image result for sister act

"We used to have this hooker called Buck-wheat Bertha.." -Deloris Van Cartier
"A progressive convent? Sounds awful. I liked my convent in Vancouver. Out in the woods. It wasn't all modern like some of these new-fangled convents. We didn't have electricity. Bare feet, cold water. They were nuns." -Sister Mary Lazarus

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid. Sister Act is a stupid movie, and it has few redeeming qualities beyond, Whoppi Goldberg as a nun, a young Maggie Smith, and Harvey Keitel. As a child viewer, I thought Sister Act was pretty great. Music + Whoopi + Nuns = Giggles. Unfortunately, Sister Act now seems like a poorly written, dubiously constructed, and woefully edited 80's throwback that happened to come out in the 90s. It still holds a positive memory in my psyche. *Trivia* When I was asked recently to think of movies that take place in different cities; Sister Act was the only one I could think of that takes place in Reno. Can any of you name another (No, googling.)

On to a more interesting topic: movies with nuns and nuns in general. Why are nuns comical? Off the top of my head I can think of Sister Act, The Flying Nun, Charlie's Angels II, The Blues Brothers, and Nuns on the Run as examples of comedic nuns in cinema. I have to wonder, what makes nuns inherently funny? Obviously wimples and habits are funny (hahaha -look at what they're wearing.), but nuns seem to be funny beyond just Catholics and iconography. My personal thought is that nuns and their distinctive outfits add an immediate "stiff" to any situation making any counter point funny. Adding a nun is like adding a Danny Glover to contrast to a Mel Gibson (Lethal Weapon) or a Harvey Korman waiting for a Tim Conway. Please add any examples of how you have seen nuns used to comedic effect, and what makes nuns funny in the comments.

On a scale of Nuns in Space to Nuns with a Monkey, I give Sister Act 2 out of 5 stars.   

No comments:

Post a Comment