Saturday, November 28, 2015

Inside Out (2015)

Image result for inside out

"Crying helps me slow down and obsess over the weight of life's problems." -Sadness
"I like Tragic Vampire Romance Island." -Sadness
"I would die for Riley." -Imaginary Boyfriend

Oh Pixar. You are truly geniuses. You embody everything of what "Disney" once was. My inner Sadness will take control when your creative twilight begins. But, for now, WOOOOOOO!!! Joy!

 Explaining emotions, emotional responses, decision making, empathy, and child brain development is hard, even for adults. I applaud the simplicity and creativity and bravery of Pixar in taking on the challenge of Inside Out. For myself, I, others may attest, bend towards Joy. I look to be joyful, and sometimes to my detriment fight the practical ranges of my other emotions. I, obviously, identified with Joy. Yet, the magic of Pixar is that hands down my favorite character and touchpoint of Inside Out was Sadness. It takes something extra special to make sadness the loveable hero. (All the FEELS!!!!)

Outside of the emotional tissue, Inside Out was a brilliant technical success. The writing was snappy. The directing was clean. The art was just the right level of ambitious (2-dimensional slayed me.), and the vocal works of Amy Poehler and Phyllis Smith were perfect.

On a scale of  Image result for emojis for happy to Image result for emoji for frustration I give Inside Out 4.1 stars for adults and 4.4 stars for kids. 

No comments:

Post a Comment