Monday, August 24, 2015

Whiplash (2014)

Image result for whiplash movie poster
"It's worse if you don't know."-Terrence Fletcher
"The two worst words in the English language are {good job}." -Terrence Fletcher

So I am not particularly thick skinned when it comes to criticism, nor am I fastidious and obsessive about perfection. I have fun, let fly, and don't really want to hear about or think about mistakes.  There are areas of my life where I do focus, but when it comes to music I have blinders towards fun. This can be extremely frustrating for those around me that are dedicated to continuous improvement and exceptionalism. The same goes for me about them. My side: Why can't you just relax?  Who cares if I wasn't perfect? Why are you so uptight?  Can't we just play? And their side:  Why is he so sloppy?  Doesn't he care about the band?  Does he know he's out of tune? Urghhh, he keeps making the same mistake?  Long ago I learned, to a small degree, to empathize with my more single minded music compatriots. If I hear the tell-tale signs of anger with my priorities, I can meet them half way and for brief periods bring up my perfectionism at the expense of my personal fun. I hope they do the same for by occasionally glossing over my errors and thinking about the positives that I bring to the experience.

Whiplash is a study in passion, determination, and perfection within music.  It was made by Damian Chazelle,who clearly has a passion for music, and made a movie for people who are obsessed with music. The film lives, breaths, and is powered by music. I love jazz and that sealed my approval of Whiplash.

On a darker note, I thought Whiplash did an excellent job of ampping up the pressure to boiling point throughout the movie. The complexity and tunnel vision of Terrence Fletcher put in contrast to the relationship casualties of Andrew Neiman aligned with my understanding of the cost of musical professionalism/perfectionism.  I do not generally perform well under pressure. I would have quit and walked away to have fun in music long before enrolling in Jazz college.  I found long segments of Whiplash to be uncomfortable. Well done.

Finally, @Miles Teller -You keep getting roles and that surprises me.  Yet, you keep getting better in each film that see you in.  I don't know you and am not going to disparage you skills. If you maintain your trajectory, I will likely come to respect your work.  I don't really now, but I see light in your future.

On a scale of quarter note=50 to quarter note=300, I give Whiplash 3.6 out of 5 stars.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment