Saturday, August 29, 2015

Cinderella (2015)

Image result for cinderella 2015
"Just because it's what's done doesn't mean it's what should be done." -Ella & Prince Charming

Hmmmm...This is an interesting trend within film and Disney specifically. I am aware of Enchanted, Maleficent, 101 Dalmatians, and an upcoming Mulan film. (I am sure there are more in the works.)  Long time readers of the blog know that I am not a fan of remakes. However, the idea to take a successful animated film and remake it live action is intriguing, and I am not opposed out of principle. In fact, given the time between releases, I was curious to look for generational, social, and practical differences between the animated and live action.

With that in mind, OK Disney, you've run out of ideas and some MBAs have instructed you that reinvigorating your existing successful brands to maintain public interest is smart business.  I bet films that have existing brand cache do better abroad too. Boo. Stop making monetary decisions.  Start making new, interesting, innovative, and above all original films. @Disney; you have successfully found a way to reduce the inherent financial risk of film production through volume, aggressive marketing, and great consumer insights that allow you to give audiences what they want. I counter that audiences do not know what they want. They know what they have liked, but are poor poor futurists. Please bring back the risk.  It will help you stay creative and open to the possibly disruptive opportunities of the future. Also as I quoted a moral from your feature. Take your own  advice.

To the film.  Cinderella is OK.  In fact, it's definitely on the positive side of OK. If you bring together an all-star cast of notables and tell a classic tale with a huge costume budget and good cinematography, everything will be just fine.

Acting highlights included: The performance of Cate Blanchett; Sophie McShera in all things; and Derek Jacobi as the Old King -All I could think of was him as Emperor Claw-claw Claudius

Acting lowlights included: Helena Bonham Carter as The Fairy Godmother -I love HBC, I just was turned off by her attacking and aggressive "Bibbity Bobbity Boo".

Other highlights: Competent , but not necessarily inspired directing by Kenneth Branagh; and COLORS COLORS COLORS.  Oh my, did they go wild with the colors in Cinderella.  I think the goal was to promote the fantasy and blur the lines between cartoon color and real life.

On a scale of technicolor to technocolor, I give Cinderella (2015) 2.8 out of 5 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment