Thursday, November 27, 2014

Saving Mr. Banks (2013)



"There will be no red in the picture." -Mrs. Travers

What a waste? I don't think I have ever seen a film who's only goal seems to make me want to watch a different movie.  I don't fault the actors who signed up to en masse to be a part of something "special" -Paul Giamatti, Tom Hanks, Emma Thompson, Bradley Whitford, BJ Novak, Jason Schwartzman, Collin Farrell, and more.  They all probably love Mary Poppins and said "I can be part of anything related?! Sign me up!".

Unfortunately, the story of the making of Mary Poppins is just not that interesting and only serves to show how great the original is. (I want to watch it. NOW. The songs are stuck in my head.)

In fact, the more I write about it the more I realize the bungle that was Saving Mr. Banks. Suffice it to say, the inter-cut flashbacks were disjointed, sometimes tangential, and detracted from the whole. Saving Mr. Banks is but an unnecessary shadow cast by a corporation looking to reinvigorate a brand with substance. -There was none to be had.

I will note that there likely is a decent film lurking in the emotionally connective tissue between P.L. Travers' family issues and Mary Poppins. I would look forward to seeing it.

On a scale of Dick Van Dyke as Burt to Dick Van Dyke as Mr. Dawes Sr., I give Saving  Mr. Banks 1.8 out of 5 stars.  

No comments:

Post a Comment