Wednesday, October 1, 2014

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)



M. Gustave: [Regarding "Boy with Apple"] I'll never part with it. It reminded her of me; it will remind me of her, always. I'll die with this picture above my bed. See the resemblance?
Zero: Oh... oh, yes.
M. Gustave: [Just minutes later] Actually, we should sell it.

Once again Wes Anderson has created an insulated gem. He continues to love the same actors. His cuts are sublime, and his story telling is well-honed like a campfire master. That The Grand Budapest Hotel is not his finest work is of little consequence. We as the audience should just be happy in that his creations get made at all.  They make the world and the art of cinema better. Most films on this blog don't even come close to that.

As to the particulars of The Grand Budapest Hotel, I would say that my favorite scenes were in the dilapidated hotel with F. Murray Abraham: an old man dreaming of yesteryear in the hollow shell of former opulence.  Other high points include the Order of the Crossed Keys, Edward Norton, and any time they have to ride a gondola. As per usual, I love Wes Anderson scripts and those of you who already are fans will get more of what you like.

Sadly, in my opinion, The Grand Budapest Hotel is not quite the masterpieces that were The Royal Tenenbaums, The Life Acquatic, or even Moonrise Kingdom.  But, it is totally worth one's time.

On a scale of David Bowie to David Bowie in Portuguese, I give The Grand Budapest Hotel 3.67 out of 5 stars.  


No comments:

Post a Comment