Sunday, June 15, 2014

Godzilla (2014)



:Let them fight!" -Ken Watanabe as the credible scientist

I really thought that this version of American Godzilla was going to make the same mistakes as its 1998 predecessor: cater to American sensibilities, use a ton of CGI, arrogantly forecast a sequel, and add unrelated cultural cliches for product placement. However, I am proud to state that this incarnation of Godzilla is true to the storied (Japanese) past of the Godzilla franchise and that's a good thing.

I heard some malcontents tell me that Godzilla (2014) was a waste of the talents of both Bryan Cranston and Ken Watanabe.  I guess they are right.  But, I counter with there has never been a Godzilla or giant monster movie in the history of cinema that is actually a launching platform for Oscar.  Honestly, not a single Godzilla movie has been the genesis of an acting career.  At best, passable actors have a great time filming explosions and monsters.  At worst, forgettable stars like what's her face and who's its are forgotten in comparison to the big monster.  The directors chose to use names you would recognize to get butts in seats.  That they were underused is a fact of movie making and a pillar of the Godzilla franchise. On the whole, I liked the way both Bryan and Ken were used.  Bryan K got to do his very best Jeff Goldbloom impersonation, and Ken got to take on the classic Godzilla role of forgettable scientist who adds credibility and specific plot information.

Finally, I want to give my hats off to the director of Godzilla (2014).  His commitment to showcasing size perspective and first person camera angles was spot on to ensure viewer interest.

On a scale of those tiny women who sing the joys of Mothra to Space Godzilla, I give Godzilla (2014) 3.6 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment