Friday, July 12, 2013

The Producers (2005)



"Fat, fffffffffat!!!!!! Fffffattttt!" -Leopold Bloom
"Unhappy, unhappy, very very very very unhappy." -chorus accountants

"What will people say?"  -Leopold Bloom
"I think they'll say wowowowowoz hubbubda hubbubda (panting) wowow." -Max Bialichek

I love Mel Brooks.  Basically, anything he touches is funny.  .  The Producers (2005) is no exception.  It is funny.  I laughed.  A lot.  Had I gone to the full on Broadway production, I may have hurt my insides from hysterics.

But, I must confess, that I am a purist, and while I enjoy mixed media, I am generally of the opinion that the dominant presentation should dominate an arts presentation.  AKA, I like it when musicals turned movies attempt to be a movie first and not just the glorified filming of the theatrical experience. In the converse of the way that the musical adaptation of the original 1967 film changed it's nature to become a theatrical smash, the film version of the musical adaptation changed basically nothing.  Too bad.  Very funny.

Ratings:

Don't live in New York?:  See it.

Unhappy Accountants: See it

Hotsy-totsy Nazis: MUST SEE

Film purists:  Meh

Satirists:  MUST SEE

On a scale of SpringTime for Hilter to TeeTime for Hitler, I give The Producers (2005), 3.6 out of 5 stars.



   


No comments:

Post a Comment