Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Jenny and Juno (2005)



"You need to eat."-Juno

Oh man, Korean teenage pregnancy non-romcoms either lose something in translation or are displaying a cultural norm that just goes well above or below my head.

-Oh yeah, I watch Korean teenage pregnancy dramas for funsies.

Culturally, I'm really not sure what I can say about teenage pregnancy in Korea.  I am not Korean.  I am no longer a teenager.  But, I can comment on this film so,

1.  This is an insane and hopeful but in no way realistic understanding of teenage pregnancy (@15!!).
   a.  Don't get me wrong.  I am glad that this particular afternoon TV special made film didn't finish with the doom gloom scare tactics of previous generations, but I also just could not suspend my disbelief that  Jenny and Juno at 15 stay together, raise their child, and everyone is happy.

2.  I think it was supposed to be cute and endearing, but the mock wedding sequence for Jenny and Juno made me want to vomit.
  a. Somehow a hastily prepared and yet clearly choreographed entrance from the ceiling by Juno filled with horribly gushy banners strew all over a middle school gym and a balloon drop that would make a Republican National Convention planner hide in shame didn't do it for me.

3.  All you young actors in this movie: Park Min-je, Kim Hye-Sung, and many of the school kids were very good.
  a. Adults in this movie were sad sad characterizations of Korean parents and adults in general.  That is a somewhat pervasive trope when it comes to Korean comedies but...in this case I think it was not a benefit to the film.

Ratings

Middleschoolers:  Seeing foreign movies at your age is good
Korean Middle schoolers:  Skip it (I never understood how any of you had time for movies anyway..so)
Parents of 15 year olds:  Skip it
Balloon lovers:  See it
Horrifying romantics:  See it

On a scale of TEENAGE love to teenage LOVE, I give Jenny and Juno 2.4 out of 5 stars.




No comments:

Post a Comment