Saturday, December 31, 2011

X-Men: First Class (2011)



I'm always a fan of truly innovative origin stories.  The last time I really liked an origin story was when Stargate SG-1 revealed that replicators came into being because one android was lonely.  In this case, I was prepared to be sorely disappointed.  But, actually I was suitably impressed.  Generally using historical backdrops, in this case the Cuban Missile Crisis, as a platform for alternate histories is a mistake.  (Remember, Young Einstein??)  But here is a notable exception to my biases.  The sixties chic of the movie was spot on.  The costumes and cut scenes with Kruschev and Kennedy were not tacky.  For good measure the writers and directors realized early that the more allusions they made to characters and events from previous movies the more likable and easier the obvious plot/history holes were to swallow.  On a nerd point I loved two other things from X-Men: First Class: 1 the back story on Magneto's psychically shielded helmet, and 2 that Kevin Bacon can speak so many languages with passable precision.

Rating:

Marvelheads: See it

Second Date Couples: Skip it

Luddites: Skip it

Russian Military Commanders: Skip it

Applied Physicists/Scientist of Any Kind:  Skip it

On a scale of Daredevil to Inception, I give X-Men: First Class 3 out of 5 stars.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment