Sunday, February 28, 2016

The Danish Girl (2015)

Image result for The Danish girl
"I've only liked a handful of people in my life and you've been two of them." -Hans Axgil

A beautiful and movingly melancholic masterpiece. The Danish Girl does not blur the lines of traditional gender roles and sexuality, it obliterates them. I would defy anyone to not empathize (at least a little) with the struggles of those outside of gender norms and those that love them after watching this film.  I also consider it a triumph of sorrowful film making.  Lots of films aim and succeed at productive happiness. Few films succeed at productive sadness. The Danish Girl is film that will not be forgotten.

I think the genius of The Danish Girl, beyond remarkable performances from Eddie Redmayne and Alicia Vikander, is the use of color, texture, and landscape to create a palpable connection between the audience and the physical changes on screen. The velvets are rich and soft, the brocades are delicate and intricate, the oil paintings have depth, and the stockings are smooth and silky. This attention to detail sets The Danish Girl apart. In particular, the paintings of Lili and the Danish landscape set the film's sad tone.

I recommend everyone see The Danish Girl.

On a scale of Hot New Thing to Venerable Master, I give The Danish Girl 4.185 out of 5 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment