Saturday, January 2, 2016

Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014)

Image result for kingsman the secret service

"I'm a Catholic whore, currently enjoying congress out of wedlock with my black Jewish boyfriend who works at a military abortion clinic. So, hail Satan, and have a lovely afternoon, madam."- Harry Hart

It's interesting to see classic actors try to broaden their market value and abilities by taking on action/violence. In this case, Colin Firth. I like Colin Firth. (That man really knows how to wear a sweater.) For this opportunity, I credit him with being completely capable of kicking-ass with the best of them. However, for my part, I would ask him to consider carefully his ability and brand. I like that Colin Firth hadn't played a violent part until now. It made him stand out. Every other leading man held a gun; not Firth. Do one movie with a gun and violence. We can understand.  Do two or three, and Colin Firth becomes just another leading male with a gun. I, for one, would say let Colin Firth be Colin Firth. Take on true drama. Stutter cutely with a British accent. Wear more sweater. Take on action roles as suits you, but make them good ones. 

Kingsman: The Secret Service is bad. It is a rehash of a rehash of a used up idea. It comes complete with a silly billionaire super-villain portrayed by a white clad Samuel L. Jackson. It also is strangely and kinda inappropriately blase with sexual content. I am all for sexual clarity and openness. More sex less violence is my vote.  In contrast, Kingsman: Secret Service is crass and demeaning with its use of sex as humor.

On a final point, I will point out the long incredible career of Mark Strong.  His voice and acting talents are undeniable. My preference is for him to be cast as the villain, but that is a small distinction. His role of Merlin in Kingsman is not a good one. I consider him miscast.

On a scale of single breasted to double breasted suits, I give Kingsman: The Secret Service 2.7 stars.  

No comments:

Post a Comment