Thursday, April 16, 2015

天空の城ラピュタ [Castle in the Sky] 1986

Image result for castle in the sky

"PAZUUUUUU" -Sheeta  (all the time.)

Castle in the Sky is great.  Nuff' said. Its plot and villain reveal are a little wonky...but whatever. I'm just going to move on and talk about some neat things I thought about while watching it this time.

I understand animators (ahem Disney and Hanna-Barbera) resuse animations, styles, and even ideas.  It is really easy and saves money.  I get it. Honestly, no harm no foul for me on that account.  However, I cannot break the serious connective tissue that links Castle in the Sky with Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.  The robots are extremely similar. The little almost pikachus are in both films as well as undeniably linked environmental themes.  I do not necessarily subscribe to the theory that both movies are part of a joint universe.  But, I do believe the Hayao Miyazaki may have loved his creations from Nausicaa and borrowed liberally as animators and studios are want to do. It would be interesting if Nausicaa was in fact the post apocalyptic rebuilding of the world of Castle in the Sky possibly creating a circular narrative for mankind's relationship with the planet, but that would not add anything substantial to either film.

I think the most developed and complete character from Castle in the Sky is the pirate leader Dola.  Its like they decided to make a complete opposite to Sheeta.  She's the leader of air pirate gang that spouts truth like Captain Jack Sparrow and always has a cunning strategy. This time I noticed that Miyazaki deliberately draws parallels between the relationship between Sheeta & Pazu and Dola & her extremely mustachioed engineer of a husband. Is there a pirate side to every relationship that remains pure and honest?  I am not sure. Hayao Miyazkai seems to think that piracy is a "noble" pursuit.

Also, I just like the idea that Sheet ends up wearing Dola's pants with the comment. "You remind me of a young me."

On a scale of Neuschwanstein, to Bodiam, I give Castle in the Sky 3 out of 5 stars.  

No comments:

Post a Comment