Monday, April 14, 2014

Marry Me (2010)



"Ughhhh this is a movie and now I have to write a blog post about it." (Me)

So I had no business watching this movie.  But, I did because I was bored and it had Lucy Liu.

I am not sad that I started it.  I am slightly ashamed that I finished the whole thing and it actually is a mini series movie in two parts of 90 minutes.

So on to the review:

Marry Me is simultaneously wretched and a reasonable example of a classic rehash.  I mean it. They polished this well worn lifetime story turd to the best it could be. No one should feel any real shame for having been associated with it, so....no collateral damage is a kind of success.

Here are some things I noticed that made Marry Me a waste of time and not necessarily a waste of life.
-Annie Potts, a solid player in any ensemble
-Lucy Liu is a solid B+ actress and capable
-The setting seemed more than a little ridiculous...but the writers made do.

  1. Lucy Liu is a well educated and talented artist who just so happens to have a heart of gold and work in the child welfare office
  2. They can't hide that she is asian, so the backstory is that she was adopted by a nice, rich, white and -southern? family at a young age.  
    1. She doesn't have a southern accent, unlike the rest of her clan.  
    2. Was the story in Atlanta?  I am still uncertain of that. 
In the end, as I was watching the final, albeit painful, love confession through the keyhole of a broken door in a castle, did I fully understand that Marry Me was really just a reasonably clever rehash of A Midsummer Night's Dream.  Oh what fools we mortals be.

On a scale of a play within a play to a youtube video of a play within a lifetime made for tv movie on youtube, I give Marry me 2 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment